Since its creation in 1932, the Library at EEA (School of Arabic Studies) Granada has provided an essential service in support of research carried out at the school. It is responsible for managing and facilitating access to the specialized information resources required by researchers to carry out their work. As a member of the CSIC Network of Libraries and Archives, the library at the EEA has also become a point of service for all other libraries within the network, while benefiting at the same time from the resources and collections held by other network libraries.
The library can also be used by users that do not belong to the CSIC community to carry out research activities in other areas, such as teaching or in academic and professional fields.
It also actively collaborates in the dissemination of the results of scientific research, through its Digital.CSIC Delegated Archive service and in the organisation of cultural activities and bibliographic exhibitions. Similarly, it carries out dissemination work through web 2.0. Social Networks
The nature and subject matter of its collections is directly related to the teaching and research lines of the Institute, which revolve around Arab and Islamic studies with special attention to al-Andalus and include indispensable Arab historical sources.They consist of printed and electronic books and magazines, graphic material and archive documentation
They are organized as follows:
Modern prints: about 14.705 titles (18.778 vols) monographs published after 1920, including the most famous Arab historical sources and an important collection of Reference composed of encyclopedias and dictionaries, catalogs of manuscripts, guides, Arabic biographical dictionaries
Printed journals : around 500 scientific journals (53 of which are open subscriptions).
Media library: about 300 publications in magnetic media
Documents of Archive: administrative and scientific documentation that the institution has generated in the form of texts, photographs and graphic background since its foundation, in 1932, until the beginning of the eighties.
Old books and Manuscripts: composed of 1.244 tutles (1772 vols) printed volumes between 1505 and 1899 very representative of early European and Spanish orientalism and Arabism; books published between 1900 and 1920; 134 handwritten Arabic works distributed in 63 volumes, including the Treatise of Agriculture by Ibn Luyūn, composed in Almería in 1348; 1 miscellaneous codex in Hebrew and about 30 Arabic documents from Granada.
The origin of these works is varied:
– A part comes from the University of Granada, of which the School of Arab Studies was annexed between 1932-1939, running its Library as a section of the General University. (See Fundamental Law of January 27, 1932).
– Purchase or donation of eminent arabists (Simonet, Gaspar Remiro, Guillén Robles)
– Transfer of researchers from the center.
Publications about the Library:
Also available in - También disponible en Spanish (Español)